Sunday, January 18, 2009

The BIG Announcement...

Well, I think it's finally safe to let all you out there in cyberland know our big news. Where to begin...five years ago, at the ripe age of 24, I was faced with some "womanly" health problems and left with no option but to have my uterus removed. We never felt like our family was complete (we even tried to have a baby for a few months before this happened), but felt like we just had to "deal" with the hand we were given. About three years ago, it dawned on me, we could still have biological children, I just couldn't carry them. We began researching the world of surrogacy. About that same time, we began dealing with my back problems and Blaine's digestive issues (both of which are now resolved!), the timing just wasn't right. We looked into adoption, but didn't feel led in that direction. Well, a few months ago, the "tug" to add to our family returned with a vengeance. Enter my dear, wonderful friend Dawn. I initially met Dawn two and a half years ago through my research of surrogacy. We became quick and great friends and now the timing is right for us to move forward on this journey! Dawn is going to birth a baby for us!!! This child will be 100% biologically ours, but Dawn will be his/her caretaker for 9+ months (and Aunt Dawn thereafter!). So where are we in the process? We have finished up the paperwork part of it (YAY!) and are patiently waiting to hear news on a court date (Texas is a surrogacy friendly state- we will go to court and essentially adopt our not-yet-created children, so when the baby is born our names will go on the birth certificate and there is no question as to parentage.). Hopefully that will occur in the next couple of weeks. As it looks now, we are set for an early March transfer and will know if we achieved pregnancy by mid- to late March! We are so excited and honored that God is allowing us to take part in this incredible and unique process! Words cannot describe Dawn and her wonderful family! I cannot wait to see where this journey takes us and to grow closer and love her more every single day! There are very few people who would give of themselves so unselfishly and very few people I would entrust our children to. I tell you, without a single ounce of doubt, that I could not have wished a better person to do this with. We are eternally grateful! So, fasten your seatbelts~ this blog is about to be full of inspiring, heartwarming, and hopefully funny stories from the world of gestational surrogacy.* And after that, baby pictures :)

*I'll try not to neglect filling you in on our daily adventures and stories of the two blessings we already have over this time :)
**For anyone who doesn't know much about surrogacy, I would encourage you to look into it or write me with any questions, concerns, etc. you may have. I will gladly answer them and am happy to share, in case you couldn't tell :) hgbello@embarqmail.com

7 comments:

Hmskl7 said...

Aw, Heather.....your soooo sweet :D .

Here....we....GO!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, congratulations. That is wonderful. I can't wait to read more about it, and will keep all of you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

i am so excited for ya'll!!!!

Mike and Melissa said...

Oh my goodness! I am so happy for you guys - congratulations.

Unknown said...

:) Congratulations! That just sounds wonderful! I'd volunteer if I wasn't so crazy crazy about conceiving another for ourselves! :) I'm selfish that way! LOL!

I can't wait to see what wonderful things God teaches you through this journey!

Jennifer said...

So glad it's out there now :) Yea!!!! We're all going to be preggo together, huh?!? Can't wait!

BTW, did you guys get the name of your judge?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! OMG, that is sooo exciting!!!!