Wednesday, April 8, 2009

This Week Has Been a Ride...

I've been absent because, well, I've been without words. I know it's hard to believe, but the past week has left me speechless. We transferred two excellent embryos last Wednesday morning. It was an awesome day. Dawn was gracious enough to not only allow Brandon and I to be in the room for the procedure, but to advocate for us to be there. It was a truly life changing experience. We were able to watch as our two beautiful babies were gently put into Dawn's uterus to hopefully make a home for the next nine months! Neither of us will ever forget it! We took some time to have a little fun while waiting...
Brandon and me

Dawn and me

Brandon and me, dressed for the occasion :)

Dawn and Roger, dressed to impress!

After transfer, Dawn was on bed rest for three days. I took the opportunity to spend the days with her, hanging out and talking. It was really nice! Saturday, she was released to be upright again. We ventured into Houston to have lunch with some great ladies from the surrogacy community plus, Kelly and Vera. We had a great time and I tried sushi for the first time (don't know if I will again, but I impressed myself with my bravery!). Sunday, our families, plus Kelly and Vera (who are pretty much family, at this point!) had lunch and we decided we could not wait anymore...we had to test. It was way early, but we decided to get our negative out of the way, so we did. Monday, Dawn and two of her children came down with a terrible stomach bug. I was sick, too, but mine had to do with hyperstimulation of my ovaries (I'm on the mend now). Late Monday afternoon, the call came. Dr. G's nurse called and said that neither of our remaining embryos made it to freeze. It was a horrible end to a horrible day. Brandon and I were both heartbroken. It was a total shock and something I could have never prepared myself for. I really had no idea that I would instantly feel the way I do for those four embryos. I had no idea I would need to grieve for the two we lost. I don't know if it's something you can understand unless you've been there. I know I didn't. My mind began running with the "what-ifs" and began to wonder about the two we transferred...whether either of them were okay. Dawn and Roger were so wonderful and through this process have really felt everything along with us: the joy, excitement, frustration, worry, mourning, and all out terror...I'm sure there is a lot more to come, but I am so thankful for both of them! Dawn felt pregnant and said she was sure she was pregnant. She tested Monday night and got a faint positive! We tested three times yesterday: morning, noon, and night...all positive and getting darker! Dawn is definitely pregnant!!! In a matter of hours, God took our mourning and gave us hope! I am in complete awe of Him and the way He works all things to the good. Dawn will have her blood work done on Wednesday, the 15th and we'll find out about an ultrasound then. I cannot wait to see our baby (or babies!) and know that all is well!

2 comments:

Dragonfly73 said...

What wonderful news! He will continue to work for you - keep believing.

Mike and Melissa said...

Hooray! I LOVE it! God is so good.