Saturday, May 23, 2009

My Grandpa...

Herman Berry was my step-grandfather. My step-mom and dad married when I was 12 and her family accepted us immediately. Both of my blood grandfathers died when I was young, so for me, he was it. I cannot tell you what it means to me that their family put my name, my siblings' names, and my children's names in his obituary. He truly was exceptional... Herman H. Berry, 84, lived in LaRue. Date: He died Thursday, May 21st, 2009 at 11:50 a.m. at Fairhaven Community in Upper Sandusky. Personal Information: Herman was born December 26th, 1924 in Kentucky to John Everett and Elizabeth (Chapman) Berry. He married Margaret Louise Clay November 28th, 1945. He was a WWII veteran serving in the Army Air Corp. He worked at National Cash Register as a collator operator, and then taught masonry at MCI and Tri-Rivers. He was a member of the Weak Enders Campers Club. He loved fishing, and getting the family together for cook outs. He had an exceptional sense of humor, lived life to the fullest and was a devoted husband and father. Survived By: His wife: Margaret Berry survives him along with three daughters: Loretta Dawson of Marion, Linda Gossett of Clarksville, Luana Mathew of LaRue, seven grandchildren: Cassandra Myers of Marion, Patrick Dawson of Marion, Chandra DeCan of West Manchester, Amy Penman of Columbia, Missouri, Heather Bello of Houston, Texas, Sara Kolax of Springfield, Missouri, Scott Gossett of Waco, Texas, eight great-​grandchildren:​ Bailey Myers, Ashley Phillabaum, Emma Sue DeCan, Brandon DeCan, Aubrey Bello, Blaine Bello, Carson Kolax and Evangeline Penman. His parents: John and Elizabeth Berry preceded him in death along with one grandson: Christopher Foster, three brothers: Kenneth Berry, Carl Berry and William Berry, one sister: Leona Lowman, one step-brother: James Johnson and one step-sister: Mary Purdin.

I'm off to Ohio, with my brother, for the funeral. I'm going to write a tribute to my Grandpa when I feel like I can. He more than deserves it.

No comments: